Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hello, My Name Is...

To most of the people with whom I associate my name is Jello. That in and of itself is an interesting story that I probably will never tell you.

Legally, However, I was give the name Albert Alejandro Correa.

The literal translation would be Bright Nobility + to defend man + belt. Yep that's right ... my last name is Spanish for belt... laugh it up -- don't worry I laughed at it too.

Albert is my fathers name, so i hate it. Correa is my mother's last name from her father. My Grandfather doesn't speak a lick of English but he's a cool guy with over 13 kids and he looks like a dark skinned leprechaun... so he kinda always puts a smile on my face while he goes off speaking his gibberish. Alejandro ... My mom just kinda threw that name in there because it "flowed good with the first and last name", and I admit she does have an uncanny ability to slap a couple random words together and make it sound like they belong in the same sentence.

Now hears the hard part about the name. Being that I am of Puerto rican descent, I usually find myself being introduced as ARBOR at family events. And on the other side of the spectrum my last name, for some reason, is always pronounced "Carrera" by people who speak English as a first language. Sure it's a nice car but it's not my name. Not only that but seeing as English has become my first language... I no longer pronounce it the Spanish way which is INFURIATING to relatives and Spanish speaking folk. Often times, If I pronounce it the way I automatically pronounce it now, I am barraged with a fury of rapid-fire Spanish attack words that would make any individual, other than myself, curl into a fetal position and succumb natures will. My middle name always just lurks in the shadows and doesn't really get mispronounced so me and Alejandro see eye to eye.

"you're my best-good friend"-- Alejandro

1 comment:

bill said...

Hey Jello,

Wow -- interesting "skin" on your blog.

A couple things -- beyond the writing, which looks great so far, so keep it up.

I need to be able to see a "labels" field on your front page. Can you fit that into your design?

Also, why don't you put your old writing in your "Commonplace Book" -- meaning, give it that label so it goes in that "container." Believe it or not, in professional writing, something you've written before is considered "someone else's" and you can, in fact, plagiarize yourself!

So, that older writing might be a good candidate for placement in the CBook.